Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Investigation Needed About Christopher Dorner

Update: latest details indicate the term "burners" refers to tear gas canisters which are typically used to combat a resisting hostile force. Sheriff John McMahon has also stated they "did not intentionally burn down the cabin to get M. Dorner out." The word "intentional" is clearly important as it potentially says a number of things implicitly. The one other note I will point out is the fact much of the focal point is now on the reward and how it will be distributed. And what of the original core issue(s) that triggered this tragic scenario? Sigh!


Reading an article about the potential demise of former police officer Christopher Dorner, I found this:


Police were purportedly speaking over a scanner and referred to deploying “burners.”
“We’re going to burn him out,” a voice is heard saying, and, “Burn this motherf----r!”


http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/charred-remains-found-christopher-dorner-hideout-article-1.1262828#ixzz2KnIk3PKd


I don't want police officers on the street who are willing to kill others be it Christopher Dorner or, potentially anyone who might have ordered a burner to start a fire. I'll wait to form a decision until details emerge about how the fire started. The quote mentions someone speaking about burning him out, but that may have just been an emotional reaction to the prior murders Dorner had committed. Either way, I want to know the full details of this case as I don't think it is a case of Christopher Dorner being pure evil. My experience with human nature tells me there are more villains to this situation that are yet to be exposed.

Yes, I know I wrote an earlier article talking about situations that allow use of lethal force. I am not being hypocritical. If a victim is in imminent danger of death or torture at the hands of another, police can and should be able to use lethal force to intervene. But when a man is pinned down inside a cabin without any hostages, burning him out is not an option. Lethal force was likely required but I suspect there are more humane ways of ending a standoff.

In the regards to Kepari Leniata's murderers, I did not advocate hunting down and killing those who were involved with the torture after the fact. I stated they should be brought to justice. The use of lethal force had a time frame, during the incident when she was murdered. So I don't see my stance as hypocritical. The level of imminent danger to others is a key factor. If someone can be isolated and dealt with in a more humane manner, it's an option that should be considered.

I think our society has a tendency to downplay bullying as well as situations where someone is railroaded. I suspect Christopher Dorner may have been on the receiving end of the railroading process. There is no question he committed heinous crimes and he needed to be held accountable, but to simply blame him as being the sole source of the problem feels wrong. A man who serves in the military as well as the police force had to possessed some desire to serve and protect. That can't be washed away from his prior history even with what he did afterward.

I also think we tend to declare hostile situations as being caused by gun owners or mentally deranged people. But I think there's a lot more of the bullying factor involved. We face this kind of garbage day in and day out. Corporate environments push things like dual standard citizenship where some employees are real while others are second class citizens or they simply expect workers to labor for 60+ hour work weeks while belittling their value. Add in the complexity of dealing with other co-workers who are angry bees from receiving the same kind of degradation and you have a dangerous brew in the making. Looking at it from that perspective, if Christoper Dorner did have injustices committed against him, I think we need to look far closer at our mindset and reconsider what is truly valuable. Is pushing a man (or woman) to the breaking point acceptable to our society as merely some cracked eggs for the greater omelette? Not in my book. Everyone deserves a fair shake from the start.