Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Paying It Backward

Pay it forward or pay it backward? Which do you prefer?

Hypothetically speaking, considering a situation where either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney won the election, I don't believe there is a need to experience a state of panic or depression in either outcome. Both of these people will (would) try their best to do what they think is right. In my opinion, no reasonable man (or woman) runs for the presidency going in with the intent, “I'm gonna wreck this country up good by wrapping it around the nearest elm (*) tree.”

(*) Note: elm trees come in many varieties as does humor.

Sure, you could bring up the "road to hell" proverb, but I think that minimizes people far too much. When we're under pressure, true pressure, we take action. For a prime example, all I have to do is look back at World War II and I see people banding together while under pressure to make a difference. No, I'm not making a comparison between the current situation and World War II, I'm pointing out that people tend to be non-involve d until they are presented with a stimulus which wakes them from their slumber of apathy.

Here's how I see it. If you don't like the state of the Union, become involved. Don't focus on complaining while taking no action. Get out into your community, volunteer, be visible and be a positive influence for the people around you. Kids learn by watching so share your beliefs and values with the next generation by doing something proactive and positive. And if you like the state of the Union, all the more reason to get out there and contribute more to making a difference. Keep your upbeat momentum going. 

As an after thought, I so wanted to go onto Ann Coulter's tweet feed last night and give her a taste of her own venom but I couldn't do it in good faith. Even if isn't necessarily consistent or even common, sometimes you really do get what you give.